ChicagoSportsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Maybe Next Year- Part 2: The End of the Maddon Era
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 51

Oct 1, 2019, 8:23 AM

At 11:25 AM Central time on Sunday, Joe Maddon was accompanied by Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer, as the trio entered the Cubs’ Clubhouse. Full Story »

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe Next Year- Part 2: The End of the Maddon Era

Oct 1, 2019, 10:47 AM

I firmly believe that Joe will be the next Angels manager. Back where it all started. I wish him the best as he deserves it. He's a one of a kind manager. I appreciate what he accomplished with the Cubs that no other manager over the years had accomplished. He'll be sadly missed.

I do believe that it is a time for a change. I don't feel Epstein will be make a knee jerk decision on who will take the reins and lead the Cubs back to the World Series, but I'm sure he's been silently mulling over who is available and who will be the best choice. I also believe that he is committed to the success of the Cubs. For him to make the moves that will better the Cubs he is going to have to have the financial support of the Ricketts family. So it's put up or shut up time.

This off season will be a one of busiest for Epstein and Hoyer. I would imagine pitching and defense will be at the top of the list. They have their work cut out for them.

I don't know if this means a total rebuild but it will be close. I do think come opening day the Cubs will look quite different.

If Ricketts is as committed to put a winning team on the field as Epstein is he will need to open up his wallet. It's hard to swallow losing once you get a taste of winning. Though the 2019 season was by far the worst season in Maddon's tenure we still finished above .500. Something that didn't happen much until Maddon came aboard.

I believe we will be a better team in 2020, but baseball is a funny thing so we'll just have have to see how it unfolds. The first two weeks of the season will tell us a lot about how the Cubs will be as a team.

What's frustrating for me are all of us clichés or excuses that are freely thrown about the first month. Such as : Oh its early, he always gets off to a slow start, he's still learning, he's never hit in April, etc. It's time to move away from those excuses and mindset. History shows that a team that gets off to a good start they are generally in the running all season. Those that don't never seem to find their mojo.

Three areas that prove a team is good are:
Basic fundamental baseball
Pitching and
Health

Look at the stats at the end of the season and you'll find the winning teams had the fewest errors, the fewest injuries, and solid consistent pitching from their starters and bullpen.
Sounds and looks easy on paper, but it's not that easy over the course of 162 games.

Once the teams make the playoffs, the slate is wiped clean and it starts over. This is when pitching will dominate. The winner of the World Series will again prove that it's all about Pitching.

I'm excited for next season and the new look Cubs! We'll be back and much improved

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 51
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic