ChicagoSportsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CubsHQ Mailbag: Cub coaches, David Ross and fans, Sandberg as manager, Yu Darvish's role
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

CubsHQ Mailbag: Cub coaches, David Ross and fans, Sandberg as manager, Yu Darvish's role

Oct 25, 2019, 8:43 AM

The latest edition of Q&A with CubsHQ columnist Ken Allison. Full Story »

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CubsHQ Mailbag: Cub coaches, David Ross and fans, Sandberg as manager, Yu Darvish's role

Oct 25, 2019, 9:12 AM

Excellent article Mr. Allison. Like you I thought Espada had better qualifications as manager but I'm fully behind Rossy as the new skipper. You were right also about the needed change. I thank Joe Maddon for helping bring that Championship finally to the Cubs (I know my Dad is smiling up in Heaven!), but it has been a downhill ride since then. I also agree that no one on this team should be untouchable at this point. I only hope if one of our stars goes that Theo makes a better trade than the Quintana deal he did with the Sox. Also agree that Yu is currently the ace of the staff, but that the Cubs are in dire need of pitching. Excellent article!

Re: CubsHQ Mailbag: Cub coaches, David Ross and fans, Sandberg as manager, Yu Darvish's role

Oct 25, 2019, 9:58 AM

thanks for the rationale take

Oct 26, 2019, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: CubsHQ Mailbag: Cub coaches, David Ross and fans, Sandberg as manager, Yu Darvish's role ]

Thanks for the kind words. I lost my 2014, so he never got to see them win it all.

Oct 25, 2019, 12:49 PM

I think everyone should settle down and let's see what Ross will bring to the table. And Theo should let him have a voice in picking his coaching staff. For one, I would LOVE to see John Lackey back as a pitching coach. His no nonsense style and passion to win might rub some the wrong way. But I think Ross and Lackey would bring the staff together perfectly. I did not think a lot of Tommy Hottovy as a pitching coach. And the staff seemed very much out of sync with him and his philosophy on pitching. Especially the bull pen guys. They were very inconsistent most of the season injuries aside. And besides his front office experience seemed to me to be a waste as well. Especially if he was somehow included in evaluating pitching talent for the draft. We haven't exactly excelled in that area for a long time folks. I think hitting wise the Cubs made strides in the right direction with trying to hit more to the opposite field. But one of the glaring holes was not having a real lead off hitter in the line up on a daily basis. Too much I think is made of the analytics. Give me a guy who can just plain put the ball in play on a regular basis with good enough speed to leg out a few infield hits and steal a base for you. There is plenty of thunder in the line up, but solo home runs won't win you a lot of games. And the occasional 3 run dinger doesn't happen often enough if you don't have people getting on base in front of those power hitters. And this past season the numbers were horrible for us with runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs. GO CUBS GO. And congratulations to David Ross. I wish you the best.

Oct 25, 2019, 2:03 PM

LOL...John Lackey would certainly be an interesting pick. Not sure he goes from no coaching to pitching coach straight.

Maybe one day if he gets into coaching full-time besides a stay at home parent.

Oct 26, 2019, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: CubsHQ Mailbag: Cub coaches, David Ross and fans, Sandberg as manager, Yu Darvish's role ]

I think Ross will be fine. I agree that the Cubs need to exploit speed on the base paths while focusing on hitting for contact, rather than power. Much like football, it's time to establish a running game.

Oct 28, 2019, 10:25 AM

As long as they don't run recklessly like at times last season getting the last out on the base paths.

A little more bunting and play small-ball moving runners over with sac flies, hitting the man over into scoring position, hit and run, etc.

They do a good job going to third on a single but usually just stranded guys at third. more contact in those situations would help score a ton more runs which would translate into more wins for sure.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Chicago Sports HQ Boards - CubsHQ Board
add New Topic