ChicagoSportsHQ Boards

Donor's Den General Leaderboards HQ coins™ POTD Hall of Fame FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your HQ coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Walk-off wild pitch dooms Cubs, concludes wacky series
General Boards - ChiSportsHQ News Discussion
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

Mar 31, 2019, 8:23 PM

ARLINGTON, Texas — A series that featured plenty of offensive momentum swings and not much quality pitching ended with a walk-off wild pitch. Full Story »

founder_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Walk-off wild pitch dooms Cubs, concludes wacky series

Mar 31, 2019, 8:42 PM

Another example of mismanagement by Maddon, as he misused his bench and pen. WHY wasn't Zagunis in left instead of Zobrist at the end of the game?, Zobrist sucks in the OF in comparison, & had just hit into a double play?

WHY didn't he put the hit & run on with Contreas on 1st? Zobrist almost always puts the ball in play.

Why not play small ball & bunt him over if you're afraid of the H & R?

This is typical Joe, stands in the dugout looking like a deer in headlights.

Spring Training doesn't get these guys ready like it used to because they waste too many innings on non roster & ML invitees, that have zero chance of going north. This has been a staple of the Epstein/Hoyer/Maddon Regime.

Don't tell me about 2016, he mismanaged that as well & we got VERY lucky to win it, in spite of him.

He'll be gone by July.

Apr 1, 2019, 6:01 AM

Hey NiteHawk, thanks for the comments.

I agree with Zo in left late in the game, that makes no sense and you have a guy on the bench that can play there.

As for the rest, they scored a bunch of runs this series and they played a lot of small ball today especially. Several bunt attempts, one sacrifice, steals, and hit and runs. You can't fault the offense this series.

The issue is the pen getting guys out. Let's wait a couple of weeks to let everyone get up to speed and then see what we have then.

Apr 1, 2019, 7:30 AM

I agree, the offense did well, Dan. 28 runs in an opening series is great, but man, going 1 for 3 after scoring that many runs? The problem is, if the pen is still giving up runs, blowing games and losing leads in 2 weeks, 3 weeks or into May, the options to remedy is are limited. They don't want to (or can't) spend cash, so forget about a guy like Kimbrel. They've said any changes would likely be from within, and while I wouldn't be opposed to Edwards or Rosario splitting a house with Happ in Iowa, I just can't see who's git the experience (other than Tazawa) to come up. Mekkes will be a beast down the line, but is he ready yet? Maples? Mills?

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
General Boards - ChiSportsHQ News Discussion
add New Topic