NFL Power Rankings: Where do the Chicago Bears rank?
|Friday, December 13, 2019, 8:23 AM- -|
After yet another week of the NFL season, we at ChicagoBearsHQ took a look around the NFL and put together a new edition of our power rankings. There is a huge shakeup in the rankings after week 10.
Spoiler alert: there’s a new, new number 1.
We decided to explain just some of the rankings.
1. Ravens- The Ravens sit at 12-2 after fourteen weeks, and are closing in on a first-round bye. The birds have won nine straight, including impressive wins over the Seahawks, Texans, Patriots, Rams, 49ers, and Bills. Lamar Jackson looks like the clear an MVP, and the Ravens D is improving weekly, a very scary team in the AFC.
2. 49ers - The 11-2 Niners have proven they are legit as can be but are also beatable. Big plays defensively from Richard Sherman and Nick Bosa mixed with a good game plan offensively has kept the 49ers in contention. Jimmy G is proving he can win games for the Niners, beating the Saints in a shootout was as impressive as it gets.
3. Saints- The 10-3 Saints have seen their offense improve as of late, and their defense falters. Putting up 46 points against the top-ranked 49ers is extremely impressive, but giving up 48 stings. The “death by a million cuts” gameplay (as Colin Cowherd calls it) has been perfected by Drew Brees and Sean Payton. They have some work to do to get back the number one seed in the NFC, though.
4. Chiefs- They have one of the best offenses in the league, and the defense is getting better. Mahomes continues to look like a generational talent and is quietly racking up wins. The Chiefs have the talent to be a Super Bowl team and have finally looked to be putting it together as of late. A huge jump by the Chiefs is scary for the AFC.
5. Seahawks- Russell Wilson looks like an MVP so far, and the recipe the Seahawks have has led to a 10-3 start. It is unknown just how much you can trust the Seahawks, who have lost to the Saints, Ravens, and Rams. The offense has struggled as of late and must get back on track.
6. Patriots- The 10-3 Patriots stay out of the top five after losing three of four games and getting caught for cheating. The defense is still great, and the team is still lead by Brady and Bellichick so I wouldn’t hit the panic button just yet, why would you? The offense is lacking something, though, and for once, Brady and Bellichick don’t have the answers.
7. Packers- The Packers have won their division games, looked terrible against some heavyweights, and continue to sneak passed some pretty bad teams. I need to see more out of the Packers, but a 10-3 record sure looks good.
8. Texans- The Texans have made both the Patriots and Chiefs look bad, split with the division rival Colts, and got whooped by the Ravens and now the Broncos. A bit inconsistent, but they without a doubt have a big-time offense and contending roster, they need to put it together, and look pretty close to doing that.
9. Vikings- The Vikings have looked good against bad teams, but looked bad in division games against the Packers and Bears. The Vikings have a great roster and used it to its best on Sunday night against the Cowboys — a huge win for the Purple People Eaters. The Vikings followed that up with a huge come from behind victory over the Broncos to bump up a spot before their bye. After the bye, the Vikings struggled with a fellow projected playoff opponent in Seattle, and then beat the Lions. Not a ton of trust in the Vikings.
10. Bills- After a great start that looked like a playoff team, they have yet to have an impressive victory… until now: a dominating defeat of Dallas on Thanksgiving. The 9-4 Bills can be overlooked no longer, even after losing to the Ravens. They did give Lamar about all he could handle.
11.Titans- Enough overlooking the Titans, an impressive win over the Chiefs mixed in with some tight games all year long— the Titans find themselves within striking distance for a potential playoff spot. Huge wins over the Colts and Raiders make them 8-5 now, Ryan Tannehill has done wonders for the Titans. The division is on the line this week for the Titans.
12. Rams- Rams won their first three, lost the next three, and just won their seventh game of the year. The next few weeks will be huge in defining their season. The Rams have only been too inconsistent with climbing the standings and have rather hung around .500. A big win over the Bears where Gurley was great is an excellent place to start, but they were sidetracked big time when the Ravens pummeled them on Monday night football. They got back on track, though when they destroyed the Cardinals and Seahawks, more of that is like the Rams of last year. Rams are finding their stride all of a sudden.
13. Steelers- After a disappointing start to the season and some injuries, the Steelers found their stride and have rebounded by beating the Dolphins, Chargers, Colts, and Rams consecutively. A loss to the Browns hurt, but they beat the Bengals and got revenge over the Browns. The Steelers find themselves 8-5 with control of a wildcard spot in the AFC after beating the Cardinals last week. A big matchup against the Bills await.
14. Bears- The defense is still near the tops on the NFL, but they have been on the field way too much. The Bears have been disappointing all year long on the offensive side but looked better against the Lions and Giants. Head coach Matt Nagy continues to make questionable calls left and right, plus the Bears have a steep road ahead as they attempt to get back into the playoff picture. But without the help they need, they can’t get into the postseason without winning. A win against the Lions on Thanksgiving paired with a Vikings loss helped, and they put it all together against the Cowboys this week. The Bears are within striking distance and have the rival Packers up this week.
15. Cowboys- After winning three games and then losing three, the Cowboys won a telling game over their division rival Eagles and followed that up with a big win over the Giants. Cowboys roster looks dynamic, and they need to continue to build on it, which they failed to do in primetime against the Vikings. Dak needs to stop taking losses where he played great and just go win games. More losses to the Patriots and Bills and Bears (oh my) don’t help the Cowboys cause.
16. Colts- The Colts had huge wins over the Chiefs and Texans, but then lost to the Steelers and lost their QB during the game. The Colts were back on the climb after a big win over the Jags but lost to the Texans to fall out of the division a bit, followed by a loss to the Titans, and now a loss to the Buccaneers makes getting back up in the rankings very difficult.